Why change our toothbrush every three months
Have you ever wondered why many dentists recommend that you change your toothbrush atleast every three months?
In one of our recently conducted surveys, we learnt that about 75% of urban population change brushes every 3 months or sooner. Many surveys conducted globally suggested that more than 75% of us don’t replace our toothbrush every 3 months. While some of them are not aware, many are aware and just lazy to do the change.
Here are some reasons why you should change your toothbrush regularly:
- After around three months of usage, the bristles come to the end of its life losing its strength, stiffness and flexibility. It gets to a point where it is no longer as effective for cleaning around the tooth surfaces.
- Once the bristles lose their properties, they become worn. New toothbrush can remove more plaque than one that is worn out.
- Over a period of time the brush and the bristles become more prone to bacterial or fungal growth.
- Using work out bristles might give you dental problems, halitosis or bad breath.
- Worn out bristles can also cause gum bleeding.
Like everything, toothbrushes and more so the bristles used in the toothbrushes have a life expectancy. So it might be a good idea to make a note of when you purchased your last toothbrush so that you know when to change. Sometimes you might find that you have to change your brush before the 3-month period. The actual life of the brush depends on your brushing habits, teeth profile and quality of bristles used. If your toothbrush bristles becomes worn, uneven or split or toothpaste gets clogged up in the bristles or notice microbial developments – these are good symptoms to change the brush.
Dentists also advise to change your toothbrush after you had an infection such as flu, cold, mouth sores or sore throat. If you get sick make sure that change your brush even if it’s not 3 months old yet, as bacteria can breed on those bristles.
How long does eha toothbrushes last?
We use the best-in-class soft nylon bristles that are made from castor bean oil. They are suitable for 3 months of normal usage. The toothbrush heads are bio-based and degrades naturally in the presence of moisture, oxygen, and microorganisms. It is important to store the brush dry with sufficient air flow after its use. We have kept the brush head light in colour so that you can observe closely for any microbial developments. We offer quarterly subscription services where we send the brushes to your doorstep, that also acts as a reminder for you to change.